Season Summary: 1994

With the future of the VFA very much in doubt, Williamstown went into 1994 with Mark Cross, a tough former rover from the 1970's and member of the 1976 second division premiership team, as coach and Tony Pastore as captain, replacing the retired Brett McTaggart. Simon Lloyd was appointed vice-captain and Andrew Howlett deputy vice-captain. Bill Swan was the new coach of the Reserves and Trevor Davies was in charge of the Thirds. Among the recruits was former Williamstown Under 19's and North Melbourne/Carlton/St Kilda player Mark Arceri who was appointed assistant coach. Mark's father, Tony, had been the 'Town president in 1975. Troy Carrick from the Under 19's, future Liston Medallist Paul Dooley, 22 year-old Troy West from West Perth, 18 year-old Brad Lloyd, younger brother of vice-captain Simon, Andrew Venner from North Melbourne and Gary Barrow from Footscray were other recruits. Troy Mitchell returned after a season at Yarrawonga, and 27 year-old Phil O'Keefe transferred over from Werribee mid-season in a swap with Jason 'Square' Williams. O'Keefe kicked four goals on debut, ironically against Werribee, in a 22-point victory in round 10. 

In March, president Graham Oborne revealed that, after two major sponsors pulled out, the Club needed $100,000 in the short-term to survive and owed $40,000 to players for the last half of the 1993 season. He launched a public appeal, including a door-knock in the Williamstown area, and the Club managed to obtain a loan of $100,000 from Williamstown Council to help matters. Oborne stepped down as President in July and was replaced by Kim Walsh and a new board of directors.

After losing the opening three games rather badly to Oakleigh by 5 goals, to Sandringham by 50 points and to Dandenong by 45 points (Turcinovich 7 goals, Mitchell best), the Seagulls improved to win the next three games, including a 62-point victory over Prahran at Williamstown in round 6, to square the ledger after six rounds. Future premiership co-captains, Troy West and Brad Lloyd, both debuted in the round 1 fixture at Oakleigh, as did Aceri and Carrick. Another three consecutive defeats was a setback, particularly when Williamstown led Springvale by 17 points at the 12-minute mark of the final quarter in the round 8 fixture at Pt Gellibrand and lost by 15 points, 90-75. This led to a physical confrontation between coach and a player after the match, and threats by the coach to quit. He was talked out of it after a meeting with the Club, but general manager, John Sell, who came with Cross from Melbourne, did not return, and the player involved also left the Club. Sell was replaced by Mark Dunphy. There was also a 77-point defeat at Port Melbourne in round 7. Four victories in the next five games gave hope of a finals berth, including a 2-point win over Port in the return game in round 12 and a 12-goal victory against Oakleigh in round 14, before three losses in the last four rounds of the home-and-away season ended a disappointing year where Williamstown won just eight of the 18 games for the year to finish in eighth place, three wins and substantial percentage out of the final five.

Troy Mitchell took out his third Andy Taylor Memorial Trophy for senior best and fairest from recruit Gary Barrow and fellow newcomer Phil O'Keefe led the goal-kicking at the club with a modest total of just 24 goals to take out the Bert Hodge Memorial Trophy. Ricky Knight won the Bill Sheahan Memorial Trophy for best and fairest in the Reserves from Simon Parsons. David Patterson was leading goalkicker in the Seconds. Robbie Penna won the Harold Hosking Memorial Trophy for best and fairest in the Under 19's with Michael Brown runner-up. Matthew Swinton was leading goalkicker in the Thirds. Former President Graham Oborne was awarded the Bill 'Darkie' Raffle Memorial Trophy for best clubman. Ricky Knight was awarded the A. Todd Medal as the best and fairest player in the VFA Reserves, his second following his win in 1993.  

Andrew Howlett played his 100th senior game for Williamstown against Frankston in round 11 in a 122-point defeat. The Thirds again ended runners-up, this time to Sandringham which won the flag in all three grades. 1994 was to be the final year of the Under 19's VFA competition. 

Before the end of the year, former Geelong player Damien Christensen had been appointed coach for the 1995 season. 

1976 premiership rover Mark Cross replaced Barry Round as coach in 1994

               Newly-appointed captain for 1994, 126 game veteran Tony Pastore 

                                                                some of the 1994 recruits to the Club

                                       1994 assistant coach, Mark Aceri

                                                                  A sign of troubled times ahead

                                                     Andrew 'Ghost' Howlett gets in a fist to spoil against Springvale in round 8

1994 general manager, John Sell, did not return to the Club after the altercation in round 8 at Williamstown

Mark Dunphy succeeded John Sell as general manager, until Sharon Walsh took over later in the year

Kim Walsh took over as President in July when Graham Oborne stood down, Sharon became GM in late 1994

A new board took over the running of the Club in July when Kim Walsh became President

 Phil O'Keefe, four goals on debut after transferring from Werribee mid-season

                     Here Andy Howlett takes a text-book grab against Coburg in round 17


                                    Julian Toby, 1994 chairman of selectors        


Ricky Knight won the Bill Sheahan Memorial Trophy for best and fairest in the Reserves in 1994



                                                                                    Three-time best & fairest winner Troy Mitchell

18 year-old Brad Lloyd made his debut in round one against Oakleigh at Warrawee Park Oval.

Legendary property steward, Ron Johnson, with star wingman, Ashley Koenig, back from a knee reconstruction suffered in 1993

                                 Steve Symons and Greg 'Nuts' Minett

1990 premiership hero Bill Swan, was retired and coaching the reserves in 1994.

Trevor Davies, the last coach of Williamstown Under 19's before the competition was abolished

Seagulls to wear #6, Tony 'Spud' Dullard (41 senior games, 43 goals 1980's) and Joey Patterson (debuted in 1991 after graduating through the Thirds & Seconds, 7 senior games to the end of 1993).

Williamstown Reserves footballer, Craig Sheedy, trained with Victoria' Sheffield Shield squad in 1994




Latest News

VFL Memory Lane: North Melbourne

Williamstown completely stunned North Melbourne by 53 points on Pride Day in 2019.   

Read more ...

VFLW Memory Lane: Melbourne Uni

The VFLW Seagulls finished off their inaugural season with a strong win against Melbourne Uni.  

Read more ...

Partner Profile: Hobsons Bay Dental

Hobsons Bay Dental aim to provide quality and long lasting dentistry with the latest technology. 

Read more ...

VFL players back on the track

WATCH: VFL players are back on the track as preparations ramp up ahead of a truncated season.  

Read more ...

Williamstown's monstrous world record score

Williamstown produced a world record score of 687 against Geelong West in 1983, with one player registering 46 goals on the day. 

Read more ...

Latest Videos