Season Summary: 1992

For the first time in 33 years, the VFA seniors and reserves both played with 18-man teams by reinstating the two wingers in 1992. Tony Hannebery entered his 10th season as Seagull President in 1992, while recruits included North Melbourne quartet Steve Venner, Darren Harris (51 AFL games), David Dwyer (72 AFL games) and Stephen Zamykal, neighbour and best friend of Willi full-back, Simon Lloyd. Zamykal had played two matches on permit in the Reserves in 1991, including one where he took an astonishing 28 marks. Steven Long arrived from Keilor along with Julian Shanks, 1991 best and fairest winner from Carlton under 19's. Former star goalkicker, Mark Fotheringham, returned to the Club as general manager and coach of the Reserves after four years coaching Keilor in the Essendon District Football League.

Players missing from 1991 included premiership player Chris Burton (St Albans), Kevin 'Hap' Hughes (Spotswood), Murray Nilsson, Tony Dullard and Glenn Murphy, although Dullard and Murphy were not lost to the Club as they both became associate directors on the board. During the year the longest-serving player on the list, Rick Slevison (140 senior games, including the 1986 and 1990 premierships), and Lindsay Cahill (86 games and 133 goals, including the 1986 premiership) finished playing, although 'Cods' stayed on as an assistant coach to Mark Fotheringham in the Reserves. Wayne 'Roo' Muschialli also dropped out later in the season when senior opportunities became limited after 56 senior games (76 goals) and 62 reserves games (78 goals) from 1985, including the 1986 and 1990 senior premierships, and returned to Altona City Vikings, where he joined other ex-Seagulls Matty Johnson, Alun Owen, Slevison and playing coach, Peter Mildenhall. Legendary trainer, John Hogg, also departed Williamstown for Spotswood in 1992.

Brett McTaggart was appointed captain, with Tony Pastore vice-captain and Troy Mitchell deputy vice-captain. Coach Barry Round was still a listed player but never returned to the field after injuring his knee at Sandringham in round 7, 1991. David Ackerly was assistant coach, Brian Carrick coached the Thirds again in this season, while Terry Maloney was team manager of the Firsts and Seconds and John Burgess managed the Thirds. 

'Town's slump was short-lived because the Seagulls of 1992 played in their sixth Grand Final in only eight years. Opening the season with a 44-point win over Sandringham at Pt Gellibrand (Rickman 6 goals) and then going down at Preston by just three points the next week with a Bullant goal after the siren, Williamstown strung together five wins in six weeks from rounds 3-8, before losing at Box Hill by five goals. They then bounced back in round 10 to defeat Oakleigh by 21 goals at home (Rickman 11 goals) followed by a four-goal win over Prahran. The home-and-away season was then rounded out with four consecutive victories over Port, in the 200th clash between the two clubs (Rickman 7 goals, O'Connor 45 possessions), Springvale, Dandenong and Coburg, in Phil Cleary's last match in charge of the Lions, to give Williamstown 13 wins out of the 18 home-and-away games to claim second place on the ladder, behind Sandringham which finished on top with 15 wins. The Seagulls won every home game in 1992, a feat not achieved for at least 30 years. 

Some footage of the round 8 game between Williamstown and Frankston from 1992 can be seen by clicking on the following link:

The qualifying final, which was full back Simon Lloyd's 50th senior game, against Prahran was a struggle for the Seagulls as they trailed at every break by 2, 14 and 25 points, and were 31 points behind early in the final quarter before mounting a comeback to tie the scores on 16.10 apiece at the final siren. Unbeknown to Prahran captain-coach Brian Taylor, the VFA had introduced new rules whereby extra time had to be played to avoid a replay and two halves of five minutes each were played to break the deadlock. The Two Blues managed two goals to Williamstown's 1.1, which meant Prahran advanced to the second semi-final while 'Town had to make another premiership attempt via the first semi-final. Ghazi and Rickman both kicked five goals for the Seagulls with the better players being Tony Pastore, Ashley Koenig, Troy Mitchell, Steve Venner, Ghazi and Rickman. 

Some footage of this game can be seen by clicking on the following links:

Wet weather, heavy conditions and a fracas before the game had even started, which led to three players from both sides being reported, marred the first semi against Box Hill. The Seagulls adapted to the conditions better than the Mustangs and led by a useful 10 points at half-time, after trailing by two at the first break. Box Hill failed to goal in the second half, adding seven behinds only to Williamstown's 4.5, meaning 'Town almost doubled the Mustangs' score in winning by 32 points, 9.12 to 3.16. A sixteen-year old Jarrod Molloy played for Box Hill this day and kicked one goal for the team coached by his father, Shane Molloy. Star ruck-rover Grant Smith was suspended for four games after the match and missed the remainder of the season.

This resulted in Williamstown and Prahran meeting again in the preliminary final. The Seagulls trailed by two points at quarter-time before kicking 5 goals to one by the Two Blues in the second quarter in a low-scoring game. Williamstown added just one more goal after half-time to two by Prahran to run out winners 7.16 to 5.7, with Rickman booting 4 goals and being best player along with Jason Williams, Marcus O'Connor, David Dwyer, Troy Mitchell, Simon Lloyd, Steven Long and Andrew Howlett. This set up a meeting with Sandringham for the premiership in the 99th meeting of the two bayside clubs. The teams had one win each against each other in the home-and-away rounds and it was the Zebras first appearance in a Grand Final since defeating the Seagulls by six points in 1985. Rickman was the only player from either side that was still playing. It was Williamstown's and Rickman's sixth Grand Final in eight seasons. 

The early stages of the Grand Final against Sandringham, played before a crowd of 21,000 at Princes Park on a warm day, indicated an even game but by quarter-time the Zebras had opened up a three-goal lead after ruckman Steve Venner limped from the field injured early in the game. At half-time Sandringham had extended this advantage to 43 points and, by early in the third term, had a lead of more than 60 points. Williamstown rallied to outscore the Zebras for the rest of the game, but it made little difference to the outcome. Sandy triumphed 19.16.130 to 13.8.86, with Ghazi and David Dwyer each booting three goals for the defeated Seagulls. Howlett, Williams, Ackerly, Mitchell, Gould and O'Connor were best for 'Town.

Williamstown's 1992 Grand Final team was:

Backs:               David Ackerly             Simon Lloyd           Steven Long

Half Backs:        Brett Gould              Andrew Howlett      Brett McTaggart (c.)

Centres:             Ashleigh Koenig         Troy Mitchell (d.v.c.)   Julian Shanks

Half Forwards:   David Dwyer                 Jack Aziz           Jason Williams

Forwards:          Steven Johansen         Ian Rickman      Marcus O'Connor

Followers:          Steven Venner            Tony Pastore (v.c.)

Rover:                Saade Ghazi

Interchange:       Greg Minett               Rodney Callahan

Coach:              Barry Round 


Video of this game can be seen by clicking on the following link:


The last 10 minutes of the game can be seen by copying and pasting the below link into your internet browser:


Rickman headed the VFA goalkicking list with 82 and won the Club's Bert Hodge Memorial Trophy, while Ghazi was tenth on the VFA list with 42. Rickman passed Johnny Walker on the all time list of Williamstown goalkickers mid-season to move into third position behind Ron Todd and Mark Fotheringham. Tony Pastore captained the VFA side that thrashed the VCFL 32.7 to 15.7 at the MCG in May. Rickman, who kicked six goals, and Ghazi were also in the team. Troy Mitchell took out his second Andy Taylor Memorial Trophy for best and fairest in just his third year at the Club and also polled 12 votes in the Liston Trophy, seven behind the winner, Sandringham's Joe Rugolo. Andrew Howlett was runner-up in the Club best & fairest. Mitchell also won the Ron James Memorial Trophy for most valuable player, while Tony Pastore won the most consistent player award. Best player in the finals went to Ashley Koenig. Ron Johnson was awarded the Bill 'Darkie' Raffle Memorial Trophy for best clubman.

Bill Dooley won the Bill Sheahan Memorial Trophy for the Reserves best and fairest from Stephen Zamykal, while Vinnie Turcinovich was leading goalkicker with 79. Rodney Callahan was awarded the most consistent player trophy. The Seconds finished 7th on the ladder. Brad Spurling took out the Harold Hosking Memorial Trophy for best and fairest in the Under 19's, with Greg Wray runner-up. David Patterson was leading goalkicker in the Thirds with 82, and finished second on the VFA list behind Werribee's Mathew Camilleri, son of former Williamstown player Andy Camilleri (1968-71, 38 games 74 goals, 1969 premiership). The best clubperson award for the Thirds was awarded to the Club's second-only female trainer in Gail Bouchaud. The under 19's finished in sixth position. 

Julian Shanks was awarded the Fothergill-Round Medal as the most promising young player in the VFA and was also selected as captain of the VFA under-19 representative team. Tony Pastore played his 100th senior game for Williamstown in the round 11 victory over Prahran at Pt Gellibrand, while Troy Mitchell played his 50th in the same game. Saade Ghazi and Brett Gould played their 50th games in the round 12 fixture at Sandringham. 31 players were used during the course of the year in the Senior team, 9 of whom were making their senior debut. 

Tony Hannebery stood down mid-year after ten years as President to take a position on the VFA Board of Management and eventually was elected President of the Association, the fourth Williamstown official to gain the VFA leadership when he succeeded John Grieve in 1992. Grieve had been VFA President since April 1988. An amateur footballer, Hannebery crossed to Williamstown in 1972 where he played 41 games, mainly on a half-back flank, and in 1973 was runner-up in the Club's best and fairest award to Les Stillman. He gave football away to concentrate on his law career. Under Hannebery's stewardship, the Seagulls won two premierships, were runner's-up on 4 occasions and once finished third. Graham Oborne succeeded Hannebery as president of the Club. 

David Ackerley finished up after two seasons with the Seagulls, playing 36 games, and Stuart Brown relinquished the editorship of the football club publication 'Dogtown Dialogue' at the end of June following a heart attack at the age of 75. Stuart passed away three years later in 1995.

At the annual meeting held in November, life memberships were awarded to interchange steward, bar attendant and bingo worker, Graham Curtis, volunteer and season's ticket-seller, Rex Dooley, property steward Ron Johnson and former senior vice-president (1982), treasurer (1982-83), director (1985-87 and 1989-91), VFA delegate and president (1992), chairman of selectors, recruiter and sponsor, Graham Oborne. Rex's wife, Janet Dooley, also a life member, completed 40 years of service in the canteen in this season.

Several factors precipitated Williamstown's decline in the mid-1990's, most notably a downturn in the economy that had set in by 1992. The Seagulls did not have the cash flow of previous years, they missed Hannebery's guidance as president and the time had come for many of the experienced players to either retire or look elsewhere to play. Ironically 'Town had turned its back on money in 1991 when a local brothel offered $20,000 to sponsor the club. The Seagulls, who would have had to advertise the name of the Spellbound brothel on the player tracksuits in return for the sponsorship, declined on the grounds that they feared alienating supporters.


Barry Round continued on as non-playing coach in 1992 following the career-ending knee injury he suffered in round 7 of the 1991 season at Sandringham.


Barry Round became a non-playing coach in 1992 following his knee injury suffered at Sandringham in round 7, 1991 

Steve Venner, a 198cm ruckman from North Melbourne, was recruited in 1992

Julian Shanks, Carlton under 19's best & fairest winner in 1991, joined the Club in 1992

Steven Long was recruited from Keilor in 1992

Steve Zamykal was one of four players recruited from North Melbourne in 1992 

                                                                  1992 playing list

Kevin Wilson, winner of the coach's trophy in the Reserves in 1992, made his senior debut in round 4

Steve Zamykal flies for a mark over teammate Jack Aziz (#28) in the game against Port Melbourne at Port in round 4.

Steve Zamykal kicking one of his two goals in the 18-point loss at Port Melbourne in round 4

Big 209-point win for the Reserves against the 'Vales at Willi in round 5

Founder and editor of Dogtown Dialogue, Stuart Brown, stepped down mid-year following a heart attack at the age of 75. He passed away in 1995.

Saade Ghazi in action against Springvale at Williamstown in round 5. He played his 50th game at Sandy in round 12.

Action from the round 7 game at Williamstown against Coburg - Williamstown players from left, Julian Shanks, Scott Perry, Troy Mitchell and David Ackerley.

Rover Marcus O'Connor in action against Sandringham in round twelve.

Action from the round 12 match at Sandringham, won by the Zebras by 21 points, 19.9.123 to 15.12.102.

Graham Oborne (left) replaced Tony Hannebery (right) as president of the Club mid-year when Hannebery stood down after ten years in the role to take a position on the VFA Board of Management. He eventually was elected President of the Association, the fourth Williamstown official to gain the VFA leadership when he succeeded John Grieve in 1992. Grieve had been VFA President since April 1988. Life member, Kevin Bury, can be seen in the background behind the bar.  

Tony Hannebery, the sixteenth and last VFA president, was in the role from late 1992 until the end of 1994 when the Association merged with the Victorian State Football League to form the new VFL.

Troy Mitchell, best player for Williamstown in the 21-point loss at Sandringham in round 12

Williamstown's Glen Height and Port's Max Gasparoni in a contest for the ball.

Recruit Darren Harris marks at Werribee in round 14. Looking on are Jack Aziz #28, who would cross to the 'Bees the following season, and 1991 Liston Medallist, Anthony Eames, who would later play for Williamstown and coach the Seagulls Reserves for six seasons 2002-2007, winning 3 premierships and twice runner-up.  

 Gail Bouchaud, the second-ever female trainer at Williamstown

Lindsay Cahill retired during the season, having suffered a badly broken arm in 1990

Wayne 'Roo' Muschialli returned to Altona City during the season after 56 senior games from 1985.

Ashley Koenig tackles Box Hill's Darren Brusnahan in the 1992 first semi-final.

Simon Lloyd in a contest for the ball with, left, a 17yo Jarrod Molloy and John Holt of Box Hill in the 1992 first semi-final.

Williamstown captain, Brett McTaggart, about to tackle John Mrakov of Prahran during the controversial 1992 qualifying final where extra time was played for the first time when the scores were tied at the end of the game.


Some footage of the first quarter of the preliminary final can be viewed at the following link:



Taylor received a two-week penalty as a result of this incident and a further week for striking Simon Lloyd in the preliminary final.

Williamstown full-back, Simon Lloyd, appears to have the worst of this encounter with Brian Taylor.


Some footage of Brian Taylor kicking a goal in the final quarter can be seen at the following link:


Tony Pastore gets his kick away despite a desperate lunge from Prahran's David Noble during the preliminary final

The Age, September 20, 1992.

         Trevor Barker and Barry Round, opposing coaches 1992 Grand Final  

1992 Grand Final record, featuring Peter Czerkaski and Jack Aziz

A marking contest in the 1992 grand final between Williamstown and Sandringham, won by the Zebras 19.16.130 to 13.8.86.

Williamstown ruckman, Steve Venner, tackling Sandringham's Peter Czerkaski in the grand final, while Marcus O'Connor looks on. 

VFA leading goalscorers prior to the Grand Final - Rickman kicked 2 in the playoff to finish with 82 for the year. Ghazi got 3 giving him 42 and 10th position for the season. Vinnie Turcinovich led the Reserves goalkicking with 79 while David Patterson booted 82 to finish runner-up to Matthew Camilleri of Werribee in the Thirds competition. 

1992 Grand Final squad - Barry Round, Bill Swan, Scott Perry and Steve Symons did not play.

Back row: Jason Williams, Julian Shanks, Greg Minett, Ian Rickman, Brett Gould, Rodney Callahan, Bill Swan, Steven Johansen, Saade Ghazi

Middle row: Julian Toby (chairman of selectors), Ashley Koenig, Jack Aziz, Scott Perry, Steven Venner, Andy Howlett, Simon Lloyd, David Dwyer, Mark Szalay (runner)

Front row: Steven Long, Marcus O'Connor, Tony Pastore (vice-captain), David Ackerly (assistant coach), Barry Round (coach), Brett McTaggart (captain), Troy Mitchell, Steve Symons, Mark Fotheringham (reserves coach) 

                                                                         WFC historian Fred Critchley pictured here in 1992

Barry Round with Geoff and Karen Van Wyngaarden's daughters, Heidi and Gretel, in 1992 outside Brian Patterson's garage in Ferguson St., now Punt Road Apartments. 

At the annual meeting held in November, life membership of the Club was awarded to property steward Ron 'Ham Bone' Johnson, pictured here in the 1960's. 



Latest News

Director nomination applications are now open

Director nomination applications are open until Wednesday 17th November 2023. 

Read more ...

Ex-Seagulls Performing At Local Level.

Local level Seagulls are still winning flags.

Read more ...

Graeme 'Crock' Crocker Timekeeper and Scorer's Box

Have a look to see how the VFL side went

Read more ...

Semi Final Match Report Vs. Brisbane

Have a look to see how the VFL side went

Read more ...

Elimination Final Match Report Vs. Collingwood

Have a look to see how the VFL side went

Read more ...

Latest Videos