Season Summary: 1990

Brunswick merged with Broadmeadows Football Club to form the Brunswick-Broadmeadows Magpies in 1990, but was fortunate to even see out the season, and in August the VFA sacked the board and appointed an administrator. Sunshine attempted to re-enter the Association but was unsuccessful, bringing to an end its 31 year membership of the VFA, during which it won just a single Second Division premiership in 1971. 

Ian Rickman's great form in 1989 prompted his former club Footscray to select him in the March 1990 internal draft, along with promising forward Danny Del-Re. While keen to have another try at League level, his comeback with the Bulldogs was short-lived and Rickman was back at Williamstown by round eight. 1989 Liston Trophy winner Saade Ghazi spent the season in South Australia with Central Districts, but the evergreen Barry Round chose to continue playing despite having turned 40 during the summer. Robert Groenewegan went back to Tasmania, Wayne Morrisey transferred to Prahran, while Richie Raeburn crossed to Werribee. A promising young full-back named Simon Lloyd was acquired from Carlton Under 19's, where he was captain in 1989, and young ruckman Scott Perry was elevated from Williamstown Thirds. Troy Mitchell, runner-up in the reserves best & fairest in 1989, made his senior debut in round 1 and went on to play all 22 games for the season as well as taking out the senior best & fairest in a premiership year in his first season. Rover Steve Johansen joined mid-season from Footscray under 19's via West Footscray. Rover Lindsay Cahill broke his arm in the round 3 clash with Coburg and never played senior football again with Williamstown, finally finishing up during the 1992 season after 86 games and 133 goals, including the 1986 premiership. 

The Club went into the year with the same three leaders in Senior captain-coach, Barry Round, Seconds captain-coach, Tony Dullard, and Bruce Leighton as coach of the Thirds. Dullard also acted as assistant coach to Round. Terry Maloney was once again team manager of the Firsts and Seconds. Ray Maloney took over as general manager from Grant Smith in late 1989 and was replaced by Sharon Walsh just prior to the finals, before former Essendon and Brisbane player, Gavin Keane, was appointed to the position in October. 

The season commenced positively with a four-goal win at Port Melbourne in the opening round (Bruce Mourney 5 goals), followed by an 11-goal win at home against Springvale. Port kicked 10 goals in the third quarter to almost snatch victory after trailing by 7 goals at half-time. It reduced the margin to just one point early in the last quarter before Port's captain-coach, Brett Yorgey, had to leave the field with a back problem. In his absence, Williamstown steadied to add two goals and keep the Borough at bay. Former Port player, Bruce Mourney, booted 5 goals for 'Town. 

Highlights of the round 1 game against Port can be seen by clicking on this link:

Another big win at Box Hill in round 4 by 55 points (Jack Aziz 6 goals), was interspersed with losses to Coburg, Preston (by 3 points) and Prahran, before a run of seven consecutive wins from rounds 8-14, including an 86-point victory at Frankston (Chris Burton 5 goals), a 105-point win at home against Oakleigh (Burton 7 goals), and a 170-point win over Camberwell at Pt Gellibrand (Rickman 10 goals), in Bill Swan's 250th VFA game. In Round 16 the Seagulls won at Coburg 22.19 to 12.12 (Wayne Muschialli 6 goals) to wrest top spot from the Lions. At that stage 'Town headed Springvale and Coburg on percentage only, with Preston in fourth place half a game behind. Losses in three of the last four games of the home-and-away round to Springvale by 8 points, Box Hill and Preston meant Williamstown dropped to fourth place with the Bullants heading the ladder, half a game clear of Springvale and Coburg, with Werribee making up the final five teams. The 7-point win by Box Hill was their first at Williamstown since 1954. The Seagulls, which won 12 of the 18 games, still had by far the best percentage (138.4) of any of the clubs. 

Highlights of the round 16 game against Coburg can be seen by clicking on this link:

To take the pennant Williamstown had to win four games, starting with the elimination final against the neighbouring Tigers. 'Town found Werribee a troublesome opponent and trailed 4.8 to 2.0 by at quarter time before adding seven goals in the second quarter to take a two-goal lead at the main break. The 'Bees took advantage of the wind to kick eight goals and edge ahead by 12 points at the last change, before Williamstown dominated the final quarter, adding 10 goals to one to run out easy 45-point winners, 23.17 to 16.14, with Rickman and Muschialli each booting five goals and Aziz four.

Video of the 1990 elimination final can be seen by copying and pasting the following link into your internet browser:

The first semi-final brought the Seagulls and Coburg together in yet another finals encounter. The Lions were the better side early in the game, leading by 3 goals at quarter time and still up by nine points at half-time despite a much better effort from Williamstown in the second quarter. Coburg only managed one goal after the long interval to the Seagulls nine as the 'Gulls cruised to a 14.21 to 8.12 victory, and the identical winning margin as in the elimination final. Rickman put in another five-goal performance, which ended Coburg's hopes of a third consecutive premiership.

The preliminary final against Preston would have been similarly one-sided had the Bullants not kicked so accurately. After an even first term where the Seagulls held an 8-point advantage at quarter time, the lead blew out to four goals by half-time and 50 points by the last change. At the final siren Williamstown had won 23.15 to 15.6 to earn a spot in the Grand Final for the fifth time in six seasons. Stars of the preliminary final were centreman Grant Smith, who racked up 45 possessions, Chris Burton, Tony Pastore, Barry Round and Troy Mitchell, while Rickman, Muschialli and Greg 'Nuts' Minett each booted four goals.

The Grand Final was played this time at Carlton where a crowd of 18,634 witnessed a match for the ages. The game was delayed a week by the VFA because of the drawn League qualifying final between Collingwood and West Coast. The VFA wanted to play its Grand Final a week after the League, and a fortnight's rest between the preliminary and Grand Final gave Williamstown, participating in its 24th premiership play-off, a much-needed break and probably meant Springvale was lacking match practice because of a three-week break for them. This seemed irrelevant for the first three quarters of the game as Williamstown, which quickly had a 26-point lead, which was reeled back to 17 points at quarter time, before the 'Vales took control in the second term, adding six goals to just the one by Rickman to lead by 19 points at half-time. By late in the third term, this lead had been extended to 34 points, including two posters, and by the last break Springvale were still 28 points ahead, 13.15 to 10.5, due to a late goal by 'Nuts' Minett.

It appeared certain that Williamstown would lose its third successive Grand Final at the five minute mark of the final term when another Springvale goal from a dubious free kick to Graham Dempster restored the 34-point margin. The Seagulls battled on and, amongst the positional changes it made, was the shift of spearhead Ian Rickman out to centre-half forward. 'Town had certainly lifted but the gap was large and victory seemed a dream. However, Williamstown rallied and kicked 6.6 to a solitary goal by the 'Vales from that point, started by a long kick from Steve Johansen at the 8-minute mark, then one off the ground by Marcus O'Connor followed by a snap from Aziz in the next five minutes to bring the game alive. A steadying goal from Peter Maloni for a rapidly-tiring Springvale restored the lead to 18 points midway through the term but, at the 23-minute mark, Rickman scored a goal with a prodigious drop punt from 60 metres out, with the ball travelling a further ten metres beyond the goal line. Two minutes later he added another one and a Williamstown victory was now a possibility with the margin just four points. A degree of uncertainty had crept into Springvale's play, exemplified by 'Vales full-forward Keith Robinson kicking out on the full after outmarking Simon Lloyd, which contrasted with the growing confidence of the Seagulls. With the game well into time-on, veteran Bill Swan gained possession after a pass from Brett McTaggart and his long kick from the 50-metre line brought up a goal to put 'Town in front for the first time since the second quarter with just 50 seconds remaining. It was to be the last score of the game.  Williamstown's two-point win, 16.11.107 to 15.15.105, was its 14th premiership, and twelfth in the top division. Whilst Rickman, with four goals for the game, had been inspirational in the comeback, the 'Gulls best on the day were 40yo Round (the Norm Goss Memorial Medallist) in his 432nd game of senior level football, McTaggart, O'Connor, Johansen (3 goals, in just his third senior game), Slevison, Pastore and Smith.

 Williamstown's 1990 premiership team line-up was:

Backs:               Troy Mitchell                Simon Lloyd          Wayne Muschialli

Half-backs:        Brett McTaggart        Andrew Howlett           Chris Burton

Centre:                                                                    Bill Swan

Half-forwards:    Tony Pastore               Jack Aziz                 Greg Minett

Forwards:           Bruce Mourney        Ian Rickman           Steve Johansen

Followers:           Barry Round (C/C)           Grant Smith

Rover:                Marcus O'Connor

Interchange:       Rick Slevison           Brett Gould 

Coach: Barry Round


Video of the 1990 grand final can be seen by copying and pasting the following links into your internet browser:


Troy Mitchell, in his debut year in Senior football, won the first of his three Andy Taylor Memorial Trophies for best and fairest at Williamstown, from Grant Smith and Brett McTaggart. Smith was also best finals player, while vice-captain, Brett McTaggart, took out the most valuable player award. Ian Rickman won the Bert Hodge Memorial Trophy for the team's leading goal-kicker with 53 majors despite missing a third of the season at Footscray. Long-time trainer Bob 'Bumper' Jones was awarded the Bill 'Darkie' Raffle Memorial Trophy as best clubman for the season.

The Seconds won twelve of their eighteen home-and-away rounds and finished out of the final five on percentage, while the Thirds won only five games for the season and finished in tenth position. Nick Dimartino won the Bill Sheahan Memorial Trophy for the Seconds best and fairest award with Peter McDonald runner-up. Rod Williams was awarded the most consistent player trophy while John Bouris was the leading goalkicker in the reserves. Bill Dooley took out the Harold Hosking Memorial Trophy for best and fairest honours in the Thirds from Matt Bury. Leading goalkicker in the Under 19's was Patrick McCurry. Steve Harrison was voted best clubman in the Thirds. 

Round completed 100 games with Williamstown in the elimination final, thus joining a small group of players to bring up a century of both VFA and League games. Rickman also played his 100th game with 'Town in the preliminary final to join Round, McTaggart, Slevison and Glenn Murphy, who had also reached that milestone. Not since 1959 when there were six players with 100 games to their credit had Williamstown had so many long-serving players. Bill Swan also brought up his 250th VFA senior appearance during the season. 36 players were used in the Firsts during the season, with ten players making their senior debut.

On the downside, former rover and 1986 premiership player Ron James  was killed in a water-skiing accident on the Murray River near Echuca at the age of 19 on New Year's Day, 1990. The Club named its Most Valuable Player trophy in his honour from this season on, with the inaugural winner being Brett McTaggart. Life-long Willi supporter, Fred 'Firpo' Stokes, also passed away during the season. 

Tony 'Spud' Dullard finished up as Reserves coach at the end of the season. 

At the annual meeting held in November, life memberships were awarded to Club historian, Fred Critchley, Club runner and former player (1978-84, 68 games 138 goals, best & fairest 1980, leading goalkicker 1979), Paul John, long-serving volunteer, Vera McKay, and committeeman from 1978-82 and director from 1983-87, Rod Williams. 

1986 premiership player Ron James died in a water-skiing accident near Echuca on New Year's Day, 1990. 

To hear more about Ron James from some of the Club identities of the era please click on the following link to one of Bruce Davis' productions

Carlton under 19's captain in 1989, Simon Lloyd, was recruited to Williamstown in 1990

Promising ruckman, Scott Perry, was elevated from Williamstown Under 19's in 1990

Runner-up in the reserves best & fairest in 1989, Troy Mitchell, made his senior debut in round one 

Andrew 'Ghost' Howlett and Alun Owen (#24) against Port Melbourne in the opening round of 1990

Brett Gould, best-on-ground in the round 1 clash with Port Melbourne.

Barry Round and Simon Lloyd at Box Hill, round 4 1990 

Triple-premiership (1954/55/56) half-back flanker, Jack Curran, pictured in 1990. Jack played 74 senior games. He passed away in 2019 at the age of 86.   

 John Clifton, bar manager & all-round volunteer, pictured here in 1990. John was voted Best Clubman in 1985.

Team lists for the round 7 game at Williamstown against Prahran, won by the Two Blues by 26 points, 16.14.110 to 10.24.84. 

The Dooley dynasty at Williamstown. Bill IV's younger brothers, Paul and Leigh, (all sons of Bill Dooley III) would follow him in later years, with Paul winning a Liston Medal in 1996 and going on to play 14 games with Footscray. Bill IV took out the Thirds best & fairest award in 1990 in his first season with the Seagulls. 

Captain-coach, Barry Round, in a contest with Sandringham's Mark Eaves in the round 8 clash at Sandringham, which the Seagulls won by 18 points despite having thirteen more scoring shots than the Zebras.

Full-forward, Ian Rickman, kicked 5 goals for Williamstown in the 18-point win at Sandringham in round 8. 

Lifelong supporter Jock Rae, pictured in 1990



Players celebrate after the victory over Werribee in round 12, from left Matt Johnson, Nick Dimartino, Brett McTaggart and Leyton Miles  

Grand final hero and star full-forward, Ian 'Chops' Rickman, led the Club goalkicking for the season with 53 majors despite spending a third of the year with Footscray.

Marcus O'Connor was best-on-ground against Coburg in the round 16 ABC televised game at Port Melbourne.

Williamstown's Marcus O'Connor marks in front of a Werribee opponent in the 1990 elimination final at North Port Oval.


Wayne 'Roo' Muschialli was best-on-ground in the elimination final victory over Werribee at Port Melbourne.

Marcus 'Ragsy' O'Connor outmarks a Werrbee opponent in the elimination final - he kicked 2 goals and was named third-best player in the 45-point victory.


Grant Smith was best-on-ground in the preliminary final win over Preston at Port Melbourne. Behind him is fanatical Seagull supporter, the late Jock Rae.

The Mail/Advertiser, 26 September, 1990

1990 Grand Final squad

Melbourne Sun, October 1, 1990

Western Independent, October 2, 1990

The Mail/Advertiser, October 3, 1990

Oakleigh-Springvale Times, October 3, 1990

The Journal, October 4, 1990

A scene from the 1990 grand final featuring Williamstown players Barry Round (#25), Marcus O'Connor (#23) and Rick Slevison (#31).

Full-forward Ian Rickman about to head goalwards in the grand final at Princes Park

Defender Rick Slevison in a contest for the ball in the 1990 Grand Final v. Springvale 

Captain-coach and Norm Goss Medallist, Barry Round, outmarks two Springvale opponents   

1990 best & fairest winner, Troy Mitchell, and vice-captain, Brett McTaggart, watch events downfield

Barry Round punches the ball clear of Springvale full-forward, Keith Robinson

Defenders Brett Gould and Brett McTaggart keep their feet unlike their Springvale opponent

Round holds Graeme Dempster at bay while Springvale captain-coach, Phil Maylin, moves in 

Back pocket, Troy Mitchell, clears the ball with rover, Steve Johansen, in the background 

Here Round wins another hitout while Andrew Howlett (#34) looks on 

34 year-old premiership hero, Bill Swan, leads his opponent in this race for the ball 

Full back, Simon Lloyd, marks safely to repel another Springvale attack 

Grant Smith boots the ball upfield during the 1990 Grand Final against Springvale 


Captain-coach Barry Round with the premiership cup

Round with the cup, flanked by Victorian premier, John Cain, and VFA executive director, Athol Hodgetts

Scenes on the ground after the final siren, with captain-coach and Norm Goss Medallist, Barry Round, in the middle of it all

The man who won the flag for the Seagulls, Bill Swan, after the siren 

Williamstown supporter, Pat Thorogood, celebrates the miraculous victory at Princes Park

Victorious Williamstown players on their lap-of-honour after the game.

Jubilation in the rooms after the game - Ian 'Chops' Rickman and Greg 'Nuts' Minett with the premiership cup.

Jack Aziz, Brian Patterson, legendary trainer John Hogg, a young David Round with father Barry and the premiership cup.

Rick Slevison, Andrew Howlett and Steve Johansen belt out the Club song while Jock Rae, Saade Ghazi & John Williams look on 

Melbourne Sun, October 1, 1990

Melbourne Sun, October 1, 1990

Melbourne Sun, October 1, 1990

Melbourne Sun, October 1, 1990

Melbourne Sun, October 1, 1990

The Journal, October 4, 1990

The Journal, October 4, 1990

The Journal, October 4, 1990

The Journal, October 4, 1990

Oakleigh Springvale Times, October 3, 1990

Oakleigh-Springvale Times, October 3, 1990

Oakleigh-Springvale Times, October 3, 1990


Oakleigh-Springvale Times, October 3, 1990

Western Independent, October 2, 1990

Western Independent, October 2, 1990

Western Independent, October 2, 1990

Western Independent, October 2, 1990

Western Independent, October 2, 1990

Williamstown Advertiser, October 3, 1990

Western Times, October 3, 1990

Western Times, October 3, 1990

Western Times, October 3, 1990


The Mail/Advertiser, October 3, 1990

The Mail/Advertiser, October 3, 1990

The Mail/Advertiser, October 3, 1990

The Mail/Advertiser, October 3, 1990

Barry Round and Simon Lloyd with the 1990 Premiership Cup

Telegrams/lettergrams received by the Club after the 1990 premiership victory 

Back Row: Marcus O'Connor, Brett Gould, Wayne Muschialli, Greg Minnet, Ricky Slevison, Steve Johansen

Middle Row: Troy Mitchell, Bruce Mourney, Jack Aziz, Andrew Howlett, Simon Lloyd, Tony Pastore

Front Row: Chris Burton, Ian Rickman, Brett McTaggart, Barry Round (captain-coach), Grant Smith, Billy Swan

Back row: Jack Aziz, Peter Kenny, Craig Kelly, Tony Pastore, John Bouris, Gavin Johnstone, Rod Williams, Bruce Mourney, Alun Owen, Grant Smith

Third row: Mark Tkocz, Bill Swan, Simon Lloyd, David Whillas, Glen Height, Scott Perry, Murray Nilsson, Damien Ferris, Greg Sampson, Andrew Howlett, Kevin Hughes, Matt Johnson

Second row: Loui Sambevski, Tom McGowan, Brett Gould, Barry Round (captain-coach), Tony Dullard (assistant coach), Brett McTaggart (vice-captain), Nick Dimartino, Chris Burton

Front row: Troy Mitchell, Peter Macdonald, Marcus O'Connor, Rick Slevison, Jason Landwehr, Leyton Miles, Greg Minett, Glen Brookes

Absent: Lindsay Cahill (deputy vice-captain), Roger Cordy, Steven Johansen, Wayne Muschialli, Glenn Murphy, Doug Page, Joe Patterson, Ian Rickman