Season Summary: 1952

Harold Hosking was re-elected President for the third time in respect of the 1952 season, and Arthur Budgen and Jim Greenfield were made life members at the annual general meeting.

The committee decided on a change of coach and appointed Billy Williams of South Melbourne, where he had played 124 games from 1945-1951, kicking 180 goals and winning the Swans best & fairest in 1946, 1947 and 1950. Adrian Dullard was persuaded to remain on as a player, which he did for two more seasons, but Gordon Williams, the equal 1951 best & fairest winner, was made vice-captain. Bob Major commenced his long reign as head trainer in this season when Fred Sutton retired and Stan Whear also commenced his 13-year journey as Club secretary in 1952.

For more information on Billy Williams, copy and paste the link below.

Players missing from the 1951 outfit included 100-game veteran Alf Sampson (coach of St Arnaud Stars), Keith Abberton (coach of Moe, but he returned in 1954), Reg Featherby (coach of Benalla, but he returned in 1953), Jack Danckert, who missed all of 1951 due to his work, transferred to Tooronga and Murray McRae retired due to injury but attempted a comeback in 1953 and played one further game. The biggest blow of all was the move of the brilliant Bill Gunn to South Melbourne after just one season. The transfer of coach Williams was used as a lever by the Swans to acquire Gunn, Williamstown's best first-year player in 1951, who would go on to represent Victoria twice during his first year in the VFL. 

Recruited to the Club was future Team of the Century member, Harry Simpson, also from South Melbourne, whilst the sons of former players, Johnny Martin (from Williamstown Seconds) and George Taafe (from South Melbourne Seconds), both made their debuts in 1952. John Martin senior had played in Footscray's VFA premiership teams of 1919-20 and joined Williamstown in 1923 before becoming captain-coach in 1926. George Taafe senior played with 'Town from 1928-31. George Tozer came across from Carlton, whilst full-back in the Team of the Century, Max Munday, also joined the 'Town from Footscray and Yarraville Socials in the Footscray District League. Alan Cuff (from Newport), Jack Simpson, Jack Howat, Brian Lowry, B.Hogan and Kevin Hibbert were also useful additions. Reg Harley returned from South mid-season after playing 61 League games, and Gordon Cameron made a brief comeback and played two games before retiring with 81 matces to his name.

Williamstown lost its opening two matches of the season for the first time in years, going down to eventual runner-up, Port Melbourne, 15.14.104 to 6.11.47 at home and then away at Preston 16.11.107 to the 'Town 14.19.103. It was Port’s first win at Pt Gellibrand since 1941 and the Seagulls lowest score for the year. A good win at Coburg in round 3 gave rise to hope of improvement, but successive defeats to Northcote, Sandringham, eventual premier Oakleigh and the inexperienced Box Hill soon put paid to that, with only one win in the first seven games and second-last place on the ladder. The 'Town overcame the previous years premiers, Prahran, but then lost at Yarraville for the first time since 1937, the Eagles getting home by 10 points, 18.7.115 to 15.15.105. 

Just as interest in the season had almost evaporated, a magnificent win at Port Melbourne in round 14, 16.15.111 to 11.19.85, restored some pride after coming from two goals down at three-quarter time. Johnny Walker kicked 8 goals to get the Seagulls home. It was Port's first loss for the year after thirteen consecutive wins, and Williamstown's first victory at North Port Oval since 1940. It was jocularly suggested that that the home side had been too gentlemanly in front of the Governor, Sir Dallas Brooks, who was seeing his first game of Association football as guest of the Port Melbourne club. A seven-goal win over Preston at Pt Gellibrand the following week elevated Williamstown to tenth place on the ladder, the highest it would achieve all season, before successive losses to Coburg and Northcote resumed the slump.

The 1952 season was marked by some of the worse weather ever experienced, with most of the grounds becoming waterlogged very early in the season and remained that way for the best part of the year. Williamstown's oval was a notable exception but this proved of little value to the team because every second match had to be played on a mudheap.  The game at Box Hill in round 7, which resulted in a two goal defeat, was played on a ground at least half covered with water with the rest mud. These abnormal conditions, even for winter, kept crowds away and made conditions unpleasant for the players and umpires, with little drop kicking or high marking. These conditions made the 'Town's efforts to make progress or even arrest the drift of the previous season all the more difficult and, at the conclusion of the home-and-away games, the side was not only out of the top four for the second successive season but was pushed down to tenth position with just eight wins from 20 games, the worse result since 1938. Injuries to Sid Wookey, Gerry Callahan, Harry Simpson, Bill Sheahan, Noel Allanson, Reg Harley, Jack Rennie and Jack Simpson also kept them out of the game for varying periods of time during the year which didn't help.

One redeeming feature of an otherwise mediocre season was the splendid performance of Johnny Walker, who got well out in front of his rivals towards the end of the season to take the VFA goalkicking honours with a total of 103, thirty-four in front of runner-up Bob Bonnett of Port Melbourne. Over the last three matches of the season, Walker added 34 goals to his tally with returns of 14 (v. Sandringham in a 132-point win), 4 v (Oakleigh) and 16 (v. Box Hill in a 103-point victory). This very good finish to the year bolstered the team's percentage up to 112.47 from the eight victories from twenty played. The Box Hill game was at home against a team the Seagulls had yet to beat, and Williamstown focused on playing through Walker in an attempt to get him the 13 goals he needed for his century. Kicking five in the first quarter, Walker was well on his way and ended up with 16 in a score of 24.11 to 8.4. Supporters were so impressed that they took up a collection after the game and gave their hero 40 pounds, a not inconsiderable amount when the basic wage was just 12 pounds a week. This was Box Hill's first visit to Williamstown since being admitted to the VFA in 1951. The Seagulls total of 27.14 against Sandringham was the highest score kicked by any club that season, the score against Box Hill the second highest and on four occassions during the year Williamstown kicked the highest score of the round despite winning just 8 games and finishing tenth.

Don Rogers did well to win the Club's best and fairest award, the Andy Taylor Memorial Trophy, from a back pocket, with Johnny Walker runner-up. Max Munday was best first-year player.

The seconds, under coach Bert McTaggart, won ten matches, lost nine with one draw to finish sixth. Charlie McLaren took out their best and fairest award.  In the Thirds competition, Williamstown missed the final four, but Peter Barnes won the Association best and fairest, whilst Fred Grubb won the Club award.

Since the VFA resumed after the war recess in 1945, Williamstown had played in 173 matches resulting in 115 wins, 56 defeats and 2 draws. 82 of these games had been played at Pt Gellibrand and only 13 defeats had been suffered. In this time two premierships had been won, once runners-up, twice third and one fourth placing together with a lightning premiership in 1946. 

Life member, 82yo Walter Warren, passed away at his home in Illawarra Street on November 30. He played for seventeen seasons from 1886-1902 and was captain six times, a Club record until equalled by the great Gerry Callahan and later on by Ben Jolley. His brothers, Peter and Ernie, were also grand players around the same time, with Ernie being vice-captain in 1890 and captain in 1891 during his career from 1884-1892, while Peter played from 1892-97. Other brothers Jack, Bill and Harry at one time or another also donned the blue and gold of Williamstown. Walter won the club goalkicking 1892-1896 & 1898-99. Ernie was leading goalkicker with 30 in 1886, the most kicked by a Williamstown player in a season until Len 'Mother' Mortimer booted 48 in 1905. Ernie died in May 1938. Three former officials and life members passed away during the year, being Bobby Gibbs jnr (a former vice-captain who played from 1907-19), Arthur Prideaux (former secretary) and Jack Emmerson (former treasurer).

The end-of-season trip was a more modest affair in this season, with a long weekend train trip to Albury by 42 members, officials and supporters on October 10.

                          Stan Whear commenced his 13-year reign as Club secretary in 1952



                                                                                Williamstown Football Club ladies committee 1952

From left: Beverley Whiffin, Betty Whear, unknown, unknown, Jean Hately, secretary Evelyn Spicer, Hilda Jean Pohl, unknown, president Elsie Flett, Edie Nicholson, Betty Bury, Mrs K. Campbell, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown

Harry Simpson came to Williamstown in 1952 after 16 games with South Melbourne and went on to become the premier ruckman in the VFA, winning the Club best and fairest in 1953 and 1954 and being runner-up in the JJ Liston Trophy in 1954. He was first ruck in the 1954 and 1955 premiership teams, before leaving in 1956 after 75 games to captain-coach Dimboola. He was selected in a forward pocket in the Williamstown Team of the Century. 

From The Argus February 20, 1952

Williamstown Chronicle February 22, 1952

Full-back in the Team of the Century, Max Munday, joined the 'Town from Footscray and Yarraville Socials in the Footscray District League in 1952 and went on to play 120 games, finishing in 1958 after playing in the 1954, 1955 and 1956 premiership sides.

   From The Age March 25, 1952

   From The Argus April 3, 1952

    From The Age April 12, 1952



                                       Williamstown Chronicle August 1, 1952

Reg Harley returned from South Melbourne early in the 1952 season.

Johnny Martin made his senior debut in 1952 and went on to play 133 games, mainly across the centre, winning Club best and fairests in 1956 and 1958 and was runner-up in 1955, and the JJ Liston Trophy in 1956. He played in the 1954/1955/1956 and 1958 premiership teams, and was selected on the wing in the Williamstown Team of the Century. He went to Wentworth as playing coach in 1959 at the age of 25. 

1952 best and fairest winner, Don Rogers, recruited from Brunswick in 1950




Latest News

VFL Memory Lane: Footscray

Meese had 94 hit outs on a day widely dubbed the windiest the ground had ever seen.    

Read more ...

VFLW Memory Lane: Darebin

See the highlights from our VFLW side's encounters against the Darebin Falcons across the Past two seasons. 

Read more ...

On This Day: Gulls stun Hawks in Box Hill

Williamstown recorded a 45-point win over the ladder-leading Hawks in Round 12, 2017. 

Read more ...

Throwback Thursday: Nathan Buckley dominates the Borough

Brownlow medallist Nathan Buckley made his return from a hamstring injury through the VFL with Williamstown in 2007 in a best on ground performance. 

Read more ...

Statement: VFL season cancelled

The 2020 VFL season has been officially cancelled. 

Read more ...

Latest Videos